Saturday, April 01, 2006

More Midwifery and Birth-Related Blogs

The blogger from Milliner's Dream kindly pointed me to her and other blogs I missed in my recent roundup of midwifery and doula blogs. Her site has a great new post, "Birth Conversations: A Doula's Version of the Vagina Monologues, which highlights some of the different treatment of women she has witnessed in attending births in home and hospital settings. Among the most shocking:

"Nurse in hospital (on her knees, crying): 'Please, please, I'm begging you please get an epidural...it's hurting my heart to watch you suffer...'"
"Nurse in hospital: 'If your doula gets our way, just so you know, we'll send her out.'"

More blogs:
BirthYourWay
Holistic Doula Services
Lunacy (birth, knitting, etc.)
This Path

And another women's health-related blog: The Well-Timed Period

Technorati Tags: ; ; ; ;
MeSH Tags: Midwifery; Nurse Midwives; doula* [keyword search]

1 Comments:

Blogger I am a Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and referencing it.

That quote you highlighted was from a birth I attended in the Fall. Doctor and nurse actually phoned me to help them find the doula of the laboring mother. She said she had one, but couldn't remember the name.

At long last after many phone calls we figured out that she had met someone, but they weren't actually contracted to work together...the doula, in fact, isn't currently taking doula clients.

The doc and nurse asked me to come, after they told the mom about me, and she asked that I be brought in. I did--got permission for a doula I am mentoring to come, too--and stayed for 18 hours.

I believe it ended in a C-birth because of that nurse's plea. And that doc is the one who said, "THIS one NEVER would have come out vaginally" during the surgery!

Hh

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home