Saturday, April 01, 2006

AdSense? A Readers Poll

A couple of Nashville bloggers have posted about AdSense recently (see Just Another Pretty Farce and 2 Retire at 50). I've considered adding AdSense to this blog, but wonder how my readers will react. Does the clutter bother you? Would you ever click on an ad? Do you think ads diminish the value of the content? Although any extra income is welcome, I'm hesitant to do it because of the lack of content control. For example, I'm not really interested in having ads for plastic surgeons show up when I'm talking about how ridiculous I think labioplasty or hymen reattachment can be. I would appreciate your thoughts in the comments.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kat Coble said...

To be honest, the clutter bothers me on my own site quite a bit, and I've spent about 2 hours trying to find a way to alter the template to make them more unobtrusive.

But, quite frankly, I'm really interested in the mechanics of the thing--how much money is made off of what kind of traffic, etc.--so I'm giving it a three-month trial run. There's enough marketing geek in me to be interested in whether ads drive traffic, drive it away, have no effect blah blah. But, really, having them parked there at the top of the page bugs me so much I might not make it thru the experiment.

On the upside I've already earned three cents, which is three cents I wouldn't have had otherwise, so there you have it.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Materni-Tee.com said...

Rachel and fellow copywriter Katherine,

I’m not commenting on the pros and cons of Adsense, just the mechanics and aesthetics: If you have an adsense account I think you can get code for the ads from there (as opposed to from the blogger Adsense module). Then you could place the ads anywhere in your sidebar or footer, for example.

Eg like the cafepress ads at http://duedateshirts.blogspot.com
Or the Adsense ads in the footer at http://www.geocities.com/pregnancyannouncement
Hope that helps.

Malcolm

7:24 PM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

I actually got rid of the ads. I didn't like the idea that google was using the paltry few-cents-a-day to subtly direct my content.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Kat,
Thanks for keeping me posted. Perhaps I'm dense today, but could you elaborate on how it subtly directed your content?

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home